Sunday 5 December 2010

December Training.... or not....

My friend (and Personal Trainer) Tom Ritson always goes on and on (and on) at me about how recovery is as important in training as any other activity I do.  Unfortunately, although I know he is right, I tend to panic that I'm not training enough.  During the course of the last year he has convinced me that I can rest before and after an event and put in a better performance than usual by allowing my body the time to recover.  I struggle with it, but I am getting better...

So, I manage to rest 3 days before and 2-3 days after an event (generally) or I do some cross training such as MTBing or swimming instead.  He also suggested a month off to REALLY allow my body to rebuild.  PANIC!  Anyway - I'm trying it in December.  My poor body has been hammered with running all year, so I'm cutting right back this month on the mileage.

I've got no runs entered this month, but I am continuing with my long distance walking events (we've got one next Saturday - 20 miles, as well as social walks on 18th, 22nd and another on 29th), boxing on a Thursday night, and swimming every Wednesday early evening.  We're mountain-biking (once this snow goes) once(ish) a week and I'm just going for a short run on a Wednesday (about 6-8 miles) to keep my legs ticking over.... I KNOW Tom, but I think my legs will forget what to do if I don't!!

So, that's the training plan - walking, MTBing, swimming and boxing with just one run a week - steady and in my Vivo Evo Barefoot Shoes (which I'm LOVING!).  It feels weird not running everyday, but I know that when Jan 1st comes and I have my first run of the year (20 mile trail - The Hangover Challenge!) my legs will feel brand new.

Anyway - I'm typing this with a hangover.... I don't drink often as I'm always training and alcohol just slows me down, but thanks to my 'recovery' month I've allowed myself a bit of a night out.  Danced my legs off in Carlisle last night with two of my fab friends, and drank my year's quota of rose wine.  Had an amazing time.  Maybe this recovery lark ain't so bad afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment