Tuesday 15 February 2011

Tonsilitis and reading......

Woke up yesterday with a sore throat.  Went to work, but by 10.30 my head was pounding, throat closing up and I felt absolutely knackered.  So I came home early from work and went straight to bed.....and slept!

Woke this morning and my throat is even more swollen, and I can now see my huge bulging tonsils with lovely yellow spots all over them.  No work for me.  Stayed in bed then got up and walked the dogs....but that's made me even more knackered!

The only bonus is that it's allowed me some time to read my latest books.... all about Vegan sports nutrition.  I need to ensure I am staying fuelled enough and getting the most out of my body.

I started with "Vegan + Sports" by Arnold Wiengand (Amazon).  He runs ultras and Ironman Triathlons and has been vegan since 2003.  The book is quite basic, but he has some interesting views on training that I am going to try. 

Firstly, in training he trains his body to burn its fat reserves.  He does this by not fuelling up before a training session.  His body then learns to tap into the fat reserves quickly, which means that when he IS competing (and therefore fuelling) when he gets further down into his reserves, his body is able to metabolise the fat more quickly and easily because it has been trained to do so.  Interesting theory, and one I'm going to work on!

Secondly, he promotes the use of soya protein drinks DURING endurance events.  I always carry water and a variety of foods, but I am definitely going to try taking my Alpro Soya drinks with me.  They're about 187cals per carton, and I reckon I'd easily get one an hour down my neck.  According to the author, it helps support the conversion of glycogen and fat into fuel, but prevents fatigue in the muscle.  I'm planning on trying this on Sunday (tonsillitis permitting).  He then recommends soya protein and a banana as an after-run recovery snack.  I'll report back on how I get on.

The second book I am currently working through is "Thrive Fitness" which is a Vegan-Based training programme written by the International triathlete and ultra-runner Brendan Brazier (also on Amazon). 

I'm not that far into it yet, but he is all about conserving energy in order to have it available for longer.  This involves eating food that is easily digested and converted into fuel so your body is not spending energy doing all the work, therefore leaving more energy available to the muscles. 

He also advocates strengthening exercises for the leg muscles, not to build size, just strength.  A weak muscle requires more energy from the heart and fuel stores to move it.  By making the muscle stronger, less energy is used and endurance is therefore increased.  I'm loving it so far as it makes perfect sense.  Perhaps it is very obvious, but it's only when you take time out to think about it that it all fits into place.  I used to do kettlebell training to strengthen my legs and core, and it really did help - so maybe it's time to dust them back off!

Anyway - I'll report back further on the book once I've finished it.  I'm snuggled up in my bed keeping warm!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks - I'll look into it! I'm gargling Lemsip at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Brendan's book, and he makes good pointsbut self-promotes his products a little too much for me. He is right about eating easily digestible foods, they're just better for the body in general. Since you like to read, try a few more along this theme that make a lot of sense.

    "The 80/10/10 Diet" by Dr. Douglas Graham
    and
    "The Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose

    I've also read that Soy, while good for you in small doses, is very hard on your digestion, very mucus forming in the intestines...I no longer eat many soy foods. The best thing to eat during endurance events is fresh fruit (hard to carry, I know...) because it already has the perfect mix of carbs, fats, and proteins your body needs to keep going.

    Anyway, hope you feel better, and let me know if you get those books and learn anything from them. Nutrition is the hardest part of training to get right, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I agree re his promotion of Vega - but I like some of his other ideas.

    I've read Natalia Rose's books and she really got me into my way of eating..... I try to eat raw until tea time. I can't run with fruit - it causes toilet breaks of the not very nice variety, and bananas just give me a stitch!

    I don't have a lot of soya (tend to use rice milk), so I figured that having it only when I'm running won't do too much harm. There's so much argument over soya - its either a wonder food or the worst thing you can have......

    Thanks for the tips though, and I'll give the 80/10/10 a view!

    ReplyDelete