Tuesday 1 February 2011

Cleansing....

I haven't lost my Christmas weight, and my fantastically healthy habits in the last six months of last year have gone to pot..... so I'm embarking on the Master Cleanse (Google it).  Once I've completed the 10 day cleanse, I'll be a lot lighter and will get back to my healthy diet.  This ten day break will give me chance to get out of the bad habits and get back on track.

I started on Monday and am now nearing the end of day 2.  I'm not hungry as the cleanse fluid keeps your blood sugars and mineral levels up.  My mind is trying to make me think of bad foods, but I've warded that off.  I've committed to this for 10 days and I am determined to complete it.  By the end I'll I've a much improved digestion, cleaner body and a few less pounds to lug around the fells!

Once the cleanse is over I'll revert to a vegan diet (I've been 100% veggie - no meat or fish - since I was 12 years old, and toyed with veganism for health reasons on and off for years) and this time try to remain strict on the dairy.  I try to avoid all milk products (milk, cheese, butter, chocolate, cream etc) and minimise the eggs (ie I won't eat eggs, but I may eat something that has eggs in it.... like a flapjack).  I've done it with varying degrees of success in the past, but I know I feel SO much better without the dairy... it actually makes me feel quite ill!  I've read 'The China Study' so I know what I should avoid and why... it's just not always so easy in practice!

So..... that's the plan - back to cooking everything from scratch and avoiding all dairy products.  I've stocked up from the Vegan Store (mainly for portable foods I can take on runs) and pre-ordered my groceries from Tesco for after the cleanse.  If I fall off the Vegan Wagon, I won't beat myself up, because at the end of the day, I'll still be minimising my intake of animal proteins!  Scott Jurek is one of the top ultra-runners of all time and he has been Vegan for years.  If you Google 'Vegan Athletes' you'll be surprised at home many there are - and most say they reverted to veganism to increase their endurance!

Anyway, enough food talk.....I'm supposed to be doing the Rombald Stride this weekend, but I'll see what my energy levels are on the day.... it's not the end of the world if I miss it, and my ankles could probably do with a break too!

1 comment:

  1. Deb, good luck with the cleanse. Sounds like a good idea, I've been thinking of doing one this month as well. I went mostly vegan about 9 months ago, and it feels really good. But it's hard to stick with anything over the holidays...!

    ReplyDelete