Monday 3 January 2011

A real hangover this time.....

It's the last day of bad food/drink before healthy regime kicks back in following the Christmas excesses.... and it can't come early enough.  The hangover in the title refers to the feeling I was left with after the pub stop on our 'Christmas Cracker' walk (postponed from 19th Dec to today due to the adverse weather on the original date).

We met the group (LDWA East Lancs) at Rivington Barn and set off straight up the steepest way to Winter Hill.  Mine and Rich's legs were screaming slightly, but I tried to take my mind off it by picking the brains of various members that have done the Hundred or the Fellsman in previous years.  One of the members has done the Hundred 24 times, and there are a few others who have completed more than ten. 

Many were aghast that I was running it, except Chris (an avid runner and X-Country Ski-er who has run many Hundreds and came second at one of them).  His advice was to run it and get it over with quicker (ie less time on feet!).  Everyone has advised me to avoid going into the second night at all costs, and this is already in my plan.  I'm aiming for 36 hours, and anything under is a miracle.  A few had done the Fellsman and warned that it is tougher than the Hundred. 

I've managed to sort out a lift to the Hundred and overnight accommodation on the Friday night with the others from East Lancs (those that aren't competing are staffing the Breakfast Stop at Lydham.... Rich is hoping to get there at some point and help out for a couple of hours).  After the run, Rich will pick me up and we're having the rest of the week chilling in the caravan at a nearby site.

The walk was good, but too hilly for my legs today and I was glad to see the pub.  Bob Smithy's doesn't normally do food, but we paid our £3 each and got either Pie and Peas, or a Baked Potato (veggies).  It was ok, but the real pleasure was the Strongbow that I rewarded myself with.  Now, I have learnt from past experiences NOT to drink mid-walk, and decided to completely ignore all my good advice and drink TWO pints!  Grr!!!  So, I started the second half feeling quite merry, but also quite squiffy!  We cut the final hike up the Pike out of the walk and made our way to the car.  It only cut a short distance out, but a steep climb.... our legs thanked us for it! 


Me and Rich at the Pigeon Tower - Rivington
LDWA Christmas Cracker - 3rd January 2011 (pre-pub)


So, following the drive home, dog walk and bath, there's just time for our last bad food of the holiday (pizza....has to be done....) and an early night ready for work in the morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment